Sunday 1 March 2015

Kamal’s philosophy of life is incredible says Pooja

Ask Pooja Kumar about what was the most challenging part of working on her upcoming film with Kamal Haasan, Uttama Villain, and she says it was speaking a dialect of Tamil from the 18th century. She then proceeds to rattle off a few dialogues from the film, perfectly enunciating each syllable - a commendable feat, considering the fact that she is still in the process of learning Tamil. But that is just a shade of who Pooja is. A trained classical dancer, a short-film maker, a producer and a Modi believer, there are many facets to this Vishwaroopam girl. Pooja opens up to Chennai Times about all things close to her heart - dance, movies and Modi... 

At the moment, Pooja is busy rehearsing for her performance at the audio launch of the Ramesh Aravind directorial. "I am performing with the Attakalari Dance Group. It is a very special number which combines different forms of dance such as ballet, Indian classical, contemporary, modern and jazz. It has a lovely flow to it and I am sure it has never been seen in the movies before. It is my first stage performance and my first live performance, too, and I am nervous and excited at the same time." 

Ask her about her character in the film and she says, "I cannot reveal much, but all I can say is that I am doing a number of different roles. I play an actress in the film and it was really fantastic working with the whole crew. Ramesh is the kind of director who captures all your strengths and identifies what you as an individual bring to the character. He has an exact vision of what the film should look like overall and that is something that puts actors at ease." 

With Vishwaroopam, Vishwaroopam 2 and now Uttama Villain all seeing her paired opposite Kamal Haasan, we wonder if theirs is a pair that works. "Kamal is someone who encourages his co-stars to push themselves when they are performing. So, I guess our pairing has worked, thanks to that. In Vishawaroopam, I was almost like a newcomer, so I was pretty nervous about working with him. But I loved the fact that he was able to help me grow as an actor, because in this profession, you grow only with the people around you. The second time around, too, he had plenty of insight to offer and his humbleness bowled me over. His philosophy of life is incredible." 

So, would she ever do a film where Kamal wasn't the hero? "I would love to do a film like that," she giggles adding, "I am waiting for something exciting to come my way." 

When Narendra Modi visited the US, Pooja, who has spent a significant amount of her time there, was seen openly rooting for the prime minister and his beliefs. So, is politics on the cards for Pooja? "To be honest, I have a background in Economics and Political Science, so politics has always interested me. I have been actively involved in causes related to social issues and women's rights. As far Modi goes, I support his ideology that it is a time for change. That was why I was openly supportive of him when he came to the US. With regard to being a politician, I still think I have a very long way to go." 

No comments:

Post a Comment